Thursday, December 21, 2017

Sandies


We make sandies every year - they're also called Mexican wedding cakes and Russian teacakes, among other things.  There's lots of different recipes for them, but my mom found that this one from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookies Cookies Cookies book works best - the cookies don't crumble at all.


The recipe is called Honey Sand Balls.  We substitute pecans for the walnuts.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup pecans
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • sifted powdered sugar
Yield: approximately 48 cookies



Begin by chopping the pecans (I used a blender attachment).


Beat the butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and honey with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.


Beat in the flour, pecans, vanilla, and salt.


Mix thoroughly.


Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.


Bake at 325ºF for 14 minutes. The cookies should be lightly browned.


While the cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar.


Cool on a wire rack and roll cookies in the powdered sugar again.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. OMG you keep making all of my faves! I love these! I had to go and have some tuna and crackers while I read this because you made me hungry lol! DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good - I'm going to try them!

    Merry Christmas to everyone!

    ReplyDelete