Friday, December 8, 2017

Pecan Pie


Today I'm sharing the recipe for another one of my favorite Thanksgiving foods - pecan pie!  Pecan pie is my favorite - I look forward to it every year.  We use the same pie crust recipe as I posted for pumpkin pie, but I'm going to repeat it here.  


Ingredients:
  • Pie Crust
    • 1 1/2 cups flour
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 cup Crisco
    • 3 tbsp. water
  • Pie Filling
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 cup dark Karo syrup
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 tbsp. flour
    • 2 tbsp. butter, melted
    • 3 cups pecans
Makes 1 10-inch pie.


To make the pie crust, sift together the flour and salt.  Take out 1/4 cup of the flour-salt mixture and mix with the water to make a paste. Add the Crisco to the remaining flour-salt mixture. Cut the Crisco in until the pieces are the size of small peas.


Add the flour paste to the Crisco-flour mixture.


Mix thoroughly until the dough comes together and can be shaped into a ball.


Roll the dough out about 1/8 inch thick.


Place the crust into the pie pan, pressing it to the sides and bottom.


You can shape the edges to make these look pretty - we chose to pinch together the edges to form points.


Mix the eggs, Karo syrup, sugar, flour, vanilla, and butter together.


Add 3 cups pecans and gently stir them in.


Pour into the pie crust.  Bake at 350ºF for 55-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the halfway between the edge and the center comes out clean.


We like to serve ours with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (Blue Bell's Homemade Vanilla is the preferred one here).


What's your favorite Thanksgiving dessert?

6 comments:

  1. I have never had pecan pie, but I have been looking for a good recipe-thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the top secret recipe I got from my mother only lots more pecans. I was always suspicious of her and added more pecans on my own. Now I'm wondering....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We add more pecans than her recipe too - you weren’t the only suspicious one. 😂

      Delete